May 12, 2010

The Things From Nowhere

It's time to take a look at some Kirby monster stories. There are so many and I don't have scans to most of them, so I don't even know where to start. I guess I'll begin with the first one that pops up in my files. This one is from Fantasy Masterpieces #1 (1966). A reprint of a story originally published in Journey Into Mystery # 60 (1960). Splash page to "I Found the Things from Nowhere." Kirby pencils, inks by Steve Ditko.
Close-up of the monster. Looks like some kind of giant red bug.

Page 2, panels 1 - 2. The story starts off with a guy checking out some baseball. Nothing worse than the cable going out during a great game.

Page 4, panel 6. The guy starts getting alien transmissions from outer space, and he witnesses a war taking place amongst giant bug creatures.

He tries to fix his TV so he can get a better signal, I guess watching extraterrestrial armageddon beats watching Oprah. Unfortunately, he messes up his TV and loses the signal (page 5, panel 4).

The guy ends up walking away from his boob tube and that's the end of the story. But here's the kicker, he wasn't watching a signal from a distant galaxy -- somehow his TV had been tuned into an anthill outside his home (page 5, panels 7 - 8).

On the inside of the back cover, there's a message from Stan Lee. Here are Stan's comments on Jack.